Keeping the battery recharged all the time when you are on a sea trip is a pain. To solve this problem, solar panels are in the market. It will save you a lot of money since you are generating electricity in your boat. Also, it offers quiet operation, unlike generators, and you can charge the battery when you are not in the boat.
However, to get all these benefits, you need to choose the best solar panels for boats. Other than that, you may waste your money easily. So make sure you choose the right panels for your boat to get the most utilities out of it.
But how can you find the best solar panels? Well, keep reading this article because this article can help you find the best one.
How Many Watts Solar Panel Do I Need For My Boat?
It completely depends on your demand. If you have a boat where you will use different kinds of devices such as fan, refrigerator, water maker, and other devices, you may need a good amount of power for sure. On the other hand, if you only run a fan in the boat, then you do not need that much power at all. That means there is no fixed watts solar that I can suggest to you. Instead, you need to determine how many watts you need. At the same time, you should consider the weather or season as well. For example, if it is hot summer, you may need to use your watermaker, fan, and refrigerator more than expected. So keeping all these in mind, you need to pick your solar panel.
What Size Solar Panel Do I Need To Charge My Boat Battery?
Before choosing a solar panel, you should know what type of boat you are using. Then, inquire about the solar battery sensor, its backup power, and the energy consumption module.
Seemingly, the average 30 to 35 ft boat requires 300 to 350W of energy. And which size of the solar panel is the best for charging your boat battery depends on what unit of boat battery you are using and the impact of absorbing power from it, which charges your equipment.
You may think, are all solar panels sizes the same? Most solar panel sizes are around 17 to 23 square feet, but these all have slight differences in self-efficacy, battery pack, maximum power, individual cells, and the types of it.
However, the accurate solar panel sizes depend on what type of battery you are using for your fancy boat. If you are using a 12V boat battery, at least you will need a solar panel with 13.6V output. In that case, you can expect 13.6 V minimum output and approximately 17 V maximum output from that battery.
So, take a look over all the usage appliances to the boat to get a better idea about the possible power expended through your solar panel. This maintenance can help with calculating the use of solar energy or power consumption.
How Many Watts Of Solar Do I Need For My Boat?
The answer is uncertain because the electricity supply through the solar panel depends on nature when it is in the boat. Also, the place you live in will play a vital role when choosing the watts of solar panel to harvest the solar power. Depending on all these facts discussed, you need to do some math following this formula (Panel Watts x Sunlight Per day = Required power).
For example, if you have a boat that requires 1000 watts of electricity a day and live in Miami or Florida, you will get solar power from sunlight for only 5.62 hours a day when put in the proper sun angle. Then, you will need two 100 watt solar panels, which combinedly can produce the exact amount of energy your boat requires as one panel will produce 100 watts/hour.
However, the number of Two solar panels will rise to three if you live in Boston or Massachusetts as you will get the sunlight only for 3.8 hours.
Now, if you choose 200Watt panels, then the number of panels will decrease. That’s how depending on the boat’s requirement of power and the place you live in, you have to choose the watts of solar.
What are The Best Solar Panels for Boats?
- Editor’s Choice: Newpowa Monocrystalline solar panel
- Best Adjustability: BougeRV 180 Watts Mono Solar Panel
- Best Mechanism: WindyNation 100 Watt Solar Panel
- Best Versatile: Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Panel
- Best Durability: Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline solar panel
- Best Flexibility: Renogy 12V flex solar bundle
- Best Efficiency: WindyNation 200 Watt (2pcs 100 Watt) Solar Panel
- Best Design: Renogy Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit
- Best Overall: Newpowa Polycrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module
Table of Content:
If you do not enough time to read the entire content yet want to know the details, you can check out our table of content below to perceive everything described in this review.
To make sure you make a better decision, you should compare some good solar panels for your boat. Here is our comparison chart so you can compare some good solar panels.
|Newpowa 200W Monocrystalline 200 Watt 12V Solar Panel||Check Price On Amazon|
|BougeRV 180 Watts Mono Solar Panel, 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Cell Charger||Check Price On Amazon|
|WindyNation 100 Watt Solar Panel Off-Grid RV Boat Kit||Check Price On Amazon|
|Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Panel||Check Price On Amazon|
|Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline 100W 12V Solar Panel||Check Price On Amazon|
|Renogy 100W 12V Flex Solar Bundle 30A MPPT Dual Battery Charging Controller||Check Price On Amazon|
|WindyNation 200 Watt (2pcs 100 Watt) Solar Panel||Check Price On Amazon|
|Renogy 100W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit||Check Price On Amazon|
|Newpowa 2 Piece 100W Polycrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module||Check Price On Amazon|
9 Best Solar Panels For Boats Reviews 2022
Since you are not an expert in this filed, finding some good solar panels and choose among them is not an easy task. That is why we have come up with some amazing solar panels for your boat with their features and benefits so that you can easily make the right choice.
1. Editor’s Choice: Newpowa Monocrystalline solar panel
The Newpowa Monocrystalline Solar Panel comes with impressive power to serve your boat. It can generate up to 200W current that is good enough to run different electric devices. With its 64.57*26.57*1.38inch size panels, it can easily charge a 12.0V battery and ensure long term retain power.
At the same time, it provides high winds resistance of (2400PA) and snow loads of (5400PA). That means it will give you a good service. You will have a new design with higher efficiency cells that offers a better light conversion rate. That means even in low light; the polycrystalline cells can provide you with a good power to run all the devices.
Also, the high-performance cells of this monocrystalline panel are kept between high transparent glass & a durable TPT back sheet and enclosed in EVA to ensure maximum durability and withstand tough weather. For additional durability, heavy-duty anodized aluminum frames are used in the panels to exceptional panel rigidity so it can be the best value solar system.
- Dimension:57 x 26.57 x 1.38 inches
- Weight:1 pounds
- Max Power output: 200 W
- Voltage MPP:0 V
- Current MPP:76 A
- Voltage Open Circuit: 23 V
- Short Circuit Current: 45 A
- Winds load: 2400PA
- Snow loads: 5400PA
Newpowa 200W Features:
- It can generate up to 200W current that is good enough to run different electric devices.
- With its panels, it can easily charge a 12.0V battery and provide high winds resistance and snow loads.
- You will have a new design with higher efficiency cells that offers a better light conversion rate in low light.
- The cells are kept between high transparent glass & a durable TPT back sheet to ensure maximum durability and withstand tough weather.
- For additional durability, heavy-duty anodized aluminum frames are used in the panels to exceptional panel rigidity.
2. Best Adjustability: BougeRV 180 Watts Mono Solar Panel
If your concern is to get clean and free power from a solar panel, you should consider the BougeRV Monocrystalline Solar Panel. It comes with 170 Watts Solar Panel that can charge a 12v battery with higher efficiency. By adding several panels together, you can charge a 24v/48v battery for maximum power retaining.
The Waterproof Junction Box can easily separate low-pressure water jets and environmental particles. You can easily install it because the diodes are pre-installed in the junction box along with pre-drilled holes on the panel’s back. With its high-quality aluminum material, it can easily withstand 2400 Pa wind and 5400 Pa snow loads.
This monocrystalline panel is compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters, meaning that you can use it other than the boats easily, such as home use, so that it can be considered as the best value for money solar panels. With its multi-layer protection system, it ensures maximum efficiency. So you can choose this one with full confidence.
- Dimension:5 x 29.6 x 2.5 inches
- Weight: 6 pounds
- Max Power output: 180 W
- Voltage Open Circuit: 6 V
- Short Circuit Current:5 A
- System voltage: 1000V DC
- J-Box IP Rating: IP65
BougeRV 170 Watts Features:
- It comes with 170 Watts Solar Panel that can charge a 12v battery, and you can charge a 24v/48v battery by adding more panels.
- The Waterproof Junction Box can easily separate low-pressure water jets and environmental particles.
- You can easily install it because the diodes are pre-installed in the junction box along with pre-drilled holes on the panel’s back.
- With its corrosion-resistant aluminum material and powerful panels, it can withstand high wind and snow loads.
- This panel is compatible with on-grid and off-grid inverters, meaning that you can use it other than the boats easily such as home use
3. Best Mechanism: WindyNation 100 Watt Solar Panel
The WindyNation Solar Panel is another good solar panel in the market. It comes with 100 watts solar panel that it can easily charge a 12v battery. Like the previous one, you can add more panels to charge even higher voltage battery for maximum power retaining.
With its digital display, you can check detailed system information such as battery voltage, battery temperature, solar panel charging amperage, and amperage of load draw. It allows you to control the power as per demand so it can be the best solar panels for the money.
Its construction is sturdy enough to support you in heavy weather as well. The installation is extremely easy here because you will get 40 feet Solar Cable with all necessary mounting hardware and manual. You can get all these features at an affordable price to be the most affordable solar panels.
- Dimension: 40 x 1.38 x 26.4 inches
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Max Power output: 100 W
- Charge Screen: LCD
- Voltage Open Circuit: 60 V
- Short Circuit Current:32 A
- Max power voltage:4 V
- Max power current:75 A
- Max system voltage: 1000 VDC
WindyNation 100 Watt Solar Features:
- It comes with 100 watts solar panel that it can easily charge a 12v battery for higher energy.
- You can add more panels to charge even higher voltage battery for maximum power retaining.
- With its digital display, you can check detailed system information such as battery voltage, battery temperature, solar panel charging amperage, and amperage of load draw.
- Its construction is sturdy enough to support you in heavy weather like snow and wind.
- The installation is extremely easy here because you will get 40 feet Solar Cable with all necessary mounting hardware and manual.
4. Best Versatile: Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Panel
Renogy Eclipse Monocrystalline Solar Panel comes to provide top quality service. It comes with 100 watts solar panel that can effectively charge a 12v battery. With its high-efficiency cells, it helps to increase module efficiency and improve overall efficiency. It features high-quality encapsulation material along with multi-layered sheet to provide durability
The frame of this portable solar panel is made of Corrosion-resistant aluminum for extended outdoor use, where anti-reflective, top quality low iron-tempered glass ensures tough resistance. You have the IP65 rated junction box to withstand low-pressure water jets and environmental particles. For added durability and long-lasting service in tough weather, it can tolerate high winds (2400Pa) and snow loads (5400Pa) easily.
You can get all these features within a limited budget so it can be considered as the best affordable solar panels. It is an on-grid and off-grid inverter so that you can use it on boat and home easily. Its pre-drilled holes on the back make your installation on the boat easier than ever.
- Dimension:8 x 20.7 x 1.38 inches
- Weight: 56 pounds
- Max Power output: 100W
- Open Circuit Voltage: 2V
- Short Circuit Current:10A
- Optimum Operating Voltage:7V
- Optimum Operating Current:70A
- Operating Temperature: -40°F to 176°F
- Maximum System Voltage: 600VDC UL
- Maximum Series Fuse Rating: 10A
Renogy 100 Watt 12 Features:
- It comes with 100 watts solar panel that can effectively charge a 12v battery with increased module efficiency.
- The frame is made of Corrosion-resistant aluminum with a multi-layered sheet to provide durability.
- You have the IP65 rated junction box to withstand low-pressure water jets and environmental particles.
- For added durability and long-lasting service in tough weather, it can tolerate high winds and snow loads easily.
- Its pre-drilled holes on the back make your installation on the boat easier than ever.
5. Best Durability: Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline solar panel
Up next is the Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline 100W 12V Solar Panel that is designed to offer high power with extreme durability. It comes with 100w solar panels that can charge a 12v battery with ease. Despite its high power capacity, it features a small design to fit well in the boat and deliver higher efficiency.
This solar panel has the capacity to withstand high winds up to 2400PA and snow loads up to 5400PA that is needed in seawater so it can be the best marine solar panels. You will find diodes pre-installed in the junction box that makes it easy to install where a pair of pre-attached 3ft MC4 Cable allows ease to use.
You can get these features within your limited budget so it can be considered as the best budget solar panels. Its cells are placed between low iron tempered glass and a durable TPT and closed in EVA to make it durable. For added sturdiness, aluminum frames are there as well to protect the flat surface. With all these features, this one should be considered as the best solar panels for boats.
- Dimension:49 x 19.88 x 1.18 inches
- Weight: 31 pounds
- Max Power Output: 100W
- Voltage MPP:77V
- Current MPP:26A
- Voltage Open Circuit: 83V
- Short Circuit Current: 56A
Newpowa 100 Watt Features:
- It comes with 100w solar panels that can charge a 12v battery with ease for long time use.
- It features a small design with efficient cells to fit well in the boat and deliver higher efficiency.
- This solar panel has the capacity to withstand high winds up to 2400PA and snow loads up to 5400PA that is needed in the sea.
- You will find diodes pre-installed in the junction box that makes it easy to install where a pair of pre-attached 3ft MC4 Cable allows ease to use.
- Its securely placed cells and aluminum frames offer you maximum durability and sturdiness in the sea.
6. Best Flexibility: Renogy 12V flex solar bundle
This Renogy Flex solar bundle with the glued flexible solar cell onto the top of the solar panel trailer is one of the most efficient solar panels on this list. Moreover, this 100-watt power unit accommodates more adequately to keep the battery charged. Most importantly, you will never see any voltage drop for using any electric water pump, fan, lights, and even gas heater with fan.
This solar panel is well built and substantial for any use. Also, it carries up to 248 degrees flex range for enduring the absorbing electricity. It gives charging flexibility and a Bluetooth module system that features the Renogy DC home app. The more options, the better because these solar panels for boat batteries need a 100 W max output system for regular monocrystalline solar panels that this one has.
Also, the capacity to store the energy for later or for use in shade. It’s not like solar sucks up the heat on it, and we get electricity. Here, the processing is all about how weather changes can affect a solar panel’s performance. The Renogy’s operating temperature is-40°F to 194°F, which is quite okay for a mid-ranged solar panel.
- Dimension: 48 x 22 x 1 inches
- Weight: 7 pounds
- Max Power output: 100W
- Open Circuit Voltage:5V
- Short Circuit Current:75A
- Optimum Operating Voltage:9V
- Optimum Operating Current:29A
- Operating Temperature: -40°F to 194°F
- Maximum System Voltage: 600VDC UL
Renogy 12V Features:
- Its 3 phase charging profile ensures the battery charging level.
- For more power accessibility, the solar can be extended up to 400W.
- The battery isolation cover overheats and over current protection.
- Its current reserve protection saves from any electric injuries or trauma.
- The width of the old panels has mirror holder brackets with rubber spacers to secure the panels.
7. Best Efficiency: WindyNation 200 Watt (2pcs 100 Watt) Solar Panel
This Windy nation solar panel is a 200W solar panel kit in size consisting of two pieces of 100W solar panels that will be efficient to be used in the boat. Also, its mono-crystalline panels come with an adjustable LCD 20 Amp P20L Solar Charge Controller, so you can add extra panels if you need in future. Besides, this solar panel is designed for RVs, homes, cabins, and especially boats with remote power use efficiency and an easy installation process.
However, the two solar panels can be wired for battery charging in series. Similarly, it contains an LCD solar charge controller with loading on/off parameter adjustment and a cycle interface on the top of the controller. On the bottom, it shows a digital parameter, a charge indicator, and a solar panel indicator for proper usage.
In addition, this kit comes with 40ft long cable which is long enough for any average size boat, so you do not have to buy one from outside. Furthermore, it’s a flexible solar panel, so you can bend it as you want means it is perfectly fitted for the curved roof of the boats. All in all, it’s a compact design solar panel kit best suited for medium-sized boats.
- Dimension: 40 x 4.5 x 28 inches
- Weight: 08 pounds
- Max Power output: 100 W
- Voltage Open Circuit: 60 V
- Short Circuit Current: 32 A
- Maximum System Voltage: 1000VDC
- Max Power Voltage:4 V
- Max system Current:75A
WindyNation 200 Watt Features:
- Comes with float mode to maintain the charge level evenly until it drops again.
- It has a PWM solar charge controller that helps to keep the charge on the solar for a long time.
- The lithium battery gauge characterizes its capacity of durability and battery state of charge.
- It is a perfect solar panel for boats during a hot and rainy season due to its high temperature regulation.
- Its load indicator or LDV is used for detecting the angle of heat or sunlight.
8. Best Design: Renogy Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit
The Renogy Monocrystalline Solar Starter panels are perfect for all seasons to maximize your boat’s maximum output. Its single crystal silicon cells produce more power per square foot. Besides, it has a 20a mppt charge controller that transfers 30% more power supply than polycrystalline panels. Also, this 100 W monocrystalline starter can be expanded up to 200 W or 400 W with the help of a Renogy charge controller.
Additionally, this solar kit comes with a solar battery charger, battery temperature sensor, and decent controller, making this monocrystalline flexible panel the best solar panels for boat reviews. This starter kit is an excellent application while using boats or any cabins. Moreover, it has a 20 ft 10AWG solar panel connector adapter kit and one 8 ft10awg tray cable for average efficiency. The other great thing about these, it keeps your batteries charged in the different seasons too. So there is no need to take your batteries out of the boat in the winter.
Thus, this kit will work way beyond that as long as you have enough batteries to hook it up to. The controller has LEDs that show the specific charging time and the maintenance charge mode. Be careful of sensitive electronics while using a cheap inverter. Finally, if you need a sine wave inverter, I would highly recommend this monocrystalline solar kit for a good group of deep cycle batteries.
- Dimension: 44 x 22 x 6.5 inches
- Weight: 26 pounds
- Max Power output: 100 W
- Charge Controller: 20A MPPT
- Solar Cell Efficiency: 21%
- Charge Controller Efficiency: 97%
Renogy Monocrystalline Features:
- The solar panel’s body is in an aluminum frame for extended outdoor use.
- MPPT charge controllers are used for their efficient charging method.
- Its high well-planned solar cell is 100% EL testified for a long-run treatment.
- This solar module frame is easy to clean with water, and it is dishwasher safe.
- The battery type controller has three different types: Gel, AGM, and flooded means you can try as you want.
9. Best Overall: Newpowa Polycrystalline Photovoltaic PV Solar Panel Module
This Newpowa Polycrystalline solar panel is the best overall due to its durable TPT back sheet, and dissolute heat ensures better panel activity to your boat. It’s not only durable for the tolerance power of diverse weather but also the panel’s rug or body designed to protect against the high wind, hail, and even snow load. For instance, it will be an excellent value of money when it shows its efficacy and durability. So, the purpose is grabbing the natural power rigid and turning it into a maximum output of electricity.
If you are trying to purchase the best solar panel for boats, you should buy what is best overall. Every solar panel has extensive use of Dios, and it prevents the unidirectional flow of current and saves it from any natural blockage and failure. Likewise, in this device, Dios is pre-installed in the junction box with a pre-attached 3ft Mc cable to rescue the battery capacity.
Additionally, this panel has a high poly solar cell which means multi-crystal silicon, and it provides energy to the solar. However, solar energy can be collected during the cloudy or winter season as well. Also, its wiring and cable connections modules are very quick and easy procedures that can be used in RVs, cars, marine, residential, farm, etc. So, it is time to have a solar adventure with the best marine solar panels within an affordable price range.
- Dimension: 83 x 26.57 x 2.4 inches
- Weight: 62 pounds
- Max Power Output: 100W
- Voltage MPP:0V
- Current MPP Imp:89A
- Voltage Open Circuit: 23V
- Short Circuit Current:25A
Newpowa Polycrystalline Features:
- The anodized frame with drilling holes is used for mounting.
- Its low iron tempered glass contains the permanency of the solar panel.
- The anti-corrosion frame keeps a balancing and self-sufficient boundary to protect the panel.
- This solar panel system contains sufficient power cells on flat or curved surfaces.
- For the full absorbing heat and fully charged battery, you need the right angle towards the sun.
What To Consider Before Buying A Solar Panels For Boats?
You know, not everyone has the same knowledge of solar panels for boats. That is why finding the best solar panels for boats is not that easy, even if you have the list of some good solar panels. That is why we have come up with some tips for you that you should consider getting the right solar panels for you.
The first thing you need to consider is the power of the panels. You know, not everyone requires the same power for their boats. You may run fridges, fans, watermakers, and other devices in your boats where someone may run only a fan. Obviously, you two do not have the same needs. Based on how much power you need, you need to select the power of the solar panels. Otherwise, your solar panel might not be able to cope up with your needs.
Along with power, size is important. Maybe you have a boat that is small, and you purchase solar panels with a high size. In that case, you cannot install the solar panels on your boat, and your hard-earned money will be wasted. That is why you need to consider the size of your boat size and solar panels size.
Durability is another important thing you should consider while buying solar panels for your boats. Since you are investing a good amount of money, you should expect to use it for a long time. When it comes to durability, you should consider the materials and cells. Make sure you choose the best materials and cells.
Since you are going to use it in the boats on the sea, it has to be weather resistant. You will experience strong wind, large snow many times. To withstand that, you need to have solar panels with higher wind and snow resistance.
You should install solar panels easily and strongly. For that, the solar panels should come with easy installation. So make sure it comes with pre-installed diodes, holes on the back, long cable, and an installation manual. Only then you can easily install it and use it properly.
Why Should You Buy A Solar Panels For Boats?
There are a lot of benefits you can get from solar panels for the boat. Here are the main benefits for you.
- The best reason to buy solar panels for the boat is to save a lot of money by generating free electricity in your boat.
- You can have a noise-free operation, unlike the generator that increases the fun of your trip.
- Even when you are not at the boat, it will charge the batteries automatically and ensure an auto-power generation.
- It uses solar energy, meaning that you are saving the environment from pollution and also saving energy as well.
- By not using fuel that much, you can reduce the cost of fuel in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have any questions? If yes, check out our frequently asked questions below.
Can a solar panel overcharge a battery?
How many batteries do I need for a 200 watt solar panel?
Can I walk on solar panels?
Should I cover solar panels when not in use?
Should I wash my solar panels?
Finding the best solar panels for boats is really important because it offers you the power you need to run devices in the sea, higher energy retaining, long-lasting durability in the rough weather, and easy to use. That is why we have reviewed some of the top class solar panels with their features and benefits so that you can pick the right one. All of them are good.
However, if you ask me to pick the best one, I will go for the Newpowa Monocrystalline Solar Panel. It offers 100w solar panels to charge a 12v battery, small design with efficient cells for higher efficiency, capacity to withstand high winds and snow loads, pre-installed diodes for easy installation, and securely placed cells aluminum frames for maximum durability. You might not get a better one than this solar panel. So without any further late, place an order right now and make your next trip more enjoyable.